"We make still by the law in which we're made." --JRR Tolkien





Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rose Is Inspiration II

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

-- 1 Cor. 13:11-12



Perhaps you can tell from the style of toys I shared a few weeks ago that I am very inspired by the Waldorf School tradition. The toys I shared from my senior year are directly inspired by the toys used in Waldorf classrooms. I have taught in a Waldorf school for several years now, becoming more and more familiar with their world view. There is one aspect of that world view that sprang to mind after someone left a comment regarding the realness of toys which, interestingly enough, also relates to Rose.





It is believed in Waldorf schools that between the ages of 6 and 9 the child slowly begins to awaken to their surroundings in a new way. This is a necessary and joyful thing because ultimately it is what allows people to learn to think and comprehend abstract concepts. However, there is a sort of sadness to it as well. Because of the child's awakening they are no longer as enmeshed in their own world of imagination. They are beginning to differentiate between the reality outside of themselves, and the reality of their inner self. Often children of this age find moments when they have forgotten how to play. Toys that once spoke to them and inspired them are now silent.







My Commenter said that of course the toys I shared are real because they are toys and can be played with. The child's interaction with them makes them real. What sprang to mind at that comment was something that I failed to share when I wrote about Rose. I said I remembered wandering around and around the back yard not knowing quite what to do for my sickly doll. I have often wondered since then if that particular memory, of Rose being so sick and not being able to find the right medicine or magic to make her better, was a moment of that in-between stage when I could still remember what it felt like to play, but I was too aware of my actual surroundings to find the right cure.


Thank you Commenter for drawing out this subtle detail.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post - an intriguing way to view that memory - and I'll bet you're correct.

    ReplyDelete