"We make still by the law in which we're made." --JRR Tolkien





Thursday, May 3, 2012

Does Anyone Remember This . . .


I loved this book when I was a child! First of all, I love the doll herself. I think she is beautiful. And I am totally amazed at how she has the same expression at all times, it's painted on, but for some reason she evokes a different emotion in each photograph or scene. I wonder if it is because it's such a hunting expression to begin with. That is to say, it is an expression with a lot of feeling behind it, and the scene gives meaning to the ambiguous expression.


She is also a beautifully shaped doll. I think this makes her poses believable and something we can "live in to" quite easily.


I think the black and white photos give the whole thing a quiet and melancholy feeling. Apparently the story is based somewhat on Wright's life. She had a pretty neglected childhood.



                               I like that even though she is naughty,

                                                  
                                         and gets punished,

            
                                         They are still friends in the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment