"We make still by the law in which we're made." --JRR Tolkien





Sunday, October 17, 2010

What Have I Been Doing?

Yesterday was our school's fall Festival. It was a blast! There were games, delicious foods, a silent auction, and a few vendors. One vendor was the school's Handwork Group, a dedicated and talented group of parents who spend hours and hours sewing tiny felt and wool toys to sell as a fundraiser. A couple of weeks ago the head of the group flattered me into making a few things to donate to their sales table. In past years I have had a table of my own, but this year I had more on my plate this summer than I had anticipated, and I was also drafted by the Early Childhood department to help put on the puppet show at the festival. Therefore, I didn't do much sewing this summer, which was really ok with me.

The head of the Handwork Group was very persuasive, and she gave me all the materials I would need, so I ended up having quite a few things to give her. I also cleared out a couple of projects of my own that had been lingering around and gave them away to the Handwork Group. Here are the things I made (with a little bit of the process along the way: I just love the Dr. Seuss-y shapes of some of these items!):

















Here are all the styles of houses I have made over the last couple of years:



I had a few extra heads lying around : ) as well as some plant dyed silk handkerchiefs, so these two beauties were born. (At first I thought they would be marionette puppets, but their felt bodies were too stiff for simple strings to move. I think they turned out well anyway.):



Another unfinished project was these pouches. I had intended to make them for a previous fall festival and never finished. I always liked them though, and am glad I finished them for this year.









I have a colleague who always says "the more you have to do, the more gets done". Gladly, this forced productivity helped to jump start other projects that have been languishing. I will have to share those in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment